Fitter and Faster is offering clinics throughout the US. These are geared towards the higher level competitor.
This one is being held locally this coming weekend. I’m not sure we can attend this one but I would love to get my girls to one. I spent some time chatting with their local representative at zones and was really impressed!
This clinic focuses on the High Performance Racing and Mental techniques, skills, turns, drills, and starts of Olympian Lacey Nymeyer and USA National Team members Tim Phillips and Katie Meili. The clinic is sponosred by Potomac Valley Swimming and is exclusively for PVS swimmers ages 12 and over. There will be a special “Raising an Olympian” parent education seminar, led by Olympic parent Stacey Nymeyer (mother of Lacey).
HIGH PERFORMANCE RACING SKILLS:
- PERFECT STREAMLINING AND BODY POSITION: Understanding and practicing how a more streamlined body position can affect your efficiency in through the water is a crucial skill. Using drills the teach balance and body awareness, Nymeyer and Phillips will show how the slightest changes in core tension will cause your body to rise or sink in the water.
- EXPLOSIVE AND EFFICIENT STARTS: During the start, energy can easily be wasted when swimmers focus too much on “jumping up,” instead of “driving out and forward.” Learn from Nymeyer, Phillips and Meili on how to use your arms, legs and full body strength for an explosive and efficient start.
- HIGH SPEED AND “TIGHT” TURNS: Learn how to maintain full speed momentum in and out of each wall and what specific skills to focus on, to achieve a tight, fast turn.
- PERFECTLY TIMED BREAKOUTS: The breakout stroke is a crucial part of every event, especially in short course racing. Phillips, Nymeyer and Meili will teach how to achieve a perfect body position and stay “in plane” during the breakout. This will allow for the most efficient transition from underwater to the surface.
HIGH PERFORMANCE MINDSET:
- Get inside the minds of three of the best swimmers in the world. Nymeyer, Phillips, and Meili will discuss their approach to goal setting, building an effective relationship with your coach and balancing life as a student-athlete.
HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE AND BUTTERFLY
- POWERFUL AND CONSISTENT KICKING: Nymeyer and Meili will demonstrate the most efficient way for to maximize the freestyle kick and generate power from the legs. By focusing on maintaining loose and “whip-like” ankles directly under the surface of the water, participants will be able to maintain a more balanced and constant kick throughout their entire race.
- MAXIMIZE THE “CATCH”: Having a great “pull” is all about maximizing the amount of water you can hold or “catch” during your stroke. Nymeyer will focus on helping participants maximize the surface area of their hand and forearm, by initiating the catch phase early and getting rid of any unnecessary movements during the pull.
- HEAD POSITION AND BREATHING: While swimming butterfly the entire body should be moving forward and it begins by leading with the head. Phillips and Meili will teach to not pick up the head to breathe and minimize the up and down movement during the breath phase.
- FAST AND EFFICIENT RECOVERY: At the end of the stroke, you snap your arms and hands out of the “back end” of your stroke. This allows you to use all of the power and momentum from your catch to your advantage and is the best way to keep a powerful and efficient recovery. WATCH THE CLINICIANS: Observe Nymeyer, Phillips, and Meili swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast freestyle and butterfly